Monday, June 15, 2009

Chicago, best friends, alcohol

What a great weekend and mix! I have to say it's an expensive city but really fun and lots to do. For my b-day, my hubby bought us tix to fly to Chicago to see my best, homegirls from college. One lives there w/ her hubby (Jeanette and Eric) and the other flew out from DC (Makenzie). It reminds me of Boston with all the old, brick buildings and diagonal streets. Also the bars have that local, old town feel as well, but with beer gardens galore. I was also amazed at how Lake Michigan looked so clean and bright (at least that's what I saw).

Friday we walked sooo much but the weather was perfect for it. Then drinks, eats and more drinks. Saturday was a rainy in the morning, but brunch made up for it at Bongo Bongo. Hangover cure: Mimosa and strawberry "short-cake" pancakes with chicken sausage. Then off to shopping for the girls while the boys went to wrigley field. 5pm drinks and apps ending in a freakin' $300 bill! Ooops! Didn't realize that glass of wine was $15, margarita $11, etc, etc.....Cheap evening of beer and cocktails and bbq. Chillin on the back deck and eavesdropping on the party across the way. We were very close to crashing it but we got a little too drunk and lazy to walk across the street, "Shit, we're gettin' old!". Sunday breakfast was the perfect start: Chicago-style, deep dish pizza! We figured us visitors had to experience it before we left. Yummy!

It was such a fun weekend, it went by WAY too fast. But seeing my homegirls again was amazing. It's like none of us have changed but we have in our own ways. We accept each other no matter what and we've always have. I think I'm just realizing that now. Next trip is going to DC and hitting the town with Makenzie in her 'hood. Good times :-)

No comments: