Monday, November 24, 2008

Bare Bones Butoh 12 performance


It was so great to perform again. It's been a few months, but it's always a blast. I've been developing more work on this ongoing piece I've been showing at Bare Bones called "Purge". It has to do with a struggle of identity with the world inside and outside of us. How so many things influence us from the external world (people, current events, pharmaceuticals, etc) into the internal world (mind, body, spirit, psyche, breakdowns, etc).

This particular installation was about birth and how our experience affects how we respond to this new world around us. Most births are initially traumatic for the baby (depending on the environment they're born into) and mother. During my Holistic Health program we had a module where we got to experience birth regression and how the way we were born has affected us throughout our lives. For example, I was born as a planned C-section, so my mother didn't go into labor, wasn't that nervous because she knew when I was going to be born. So there wasn't any excitement. I also didn't have any choice in the matter. They just opened up my mom and took me out. Think about how that would feel!

So taking this experience into my performance was really interesting. I can't wait to explore this more and longer as my piece was pretty short. The picture I've included depicts coming out of the womb for the first time. I named the image "Shock".

No comments: