Monday, September 13, 2010

Power to the Peaceful Festival

It was a foggy start, but the sun burst through it on such an amazing day.  On Saturday, it was the 12th Annual Power to the Peaceful Festival in Golden Gate Park. It was my second time attending, but also my last :-(  Since I'll be moving back east next summer, I'm so grateful that I managed to surround myself with such inspirational, celebratory people, music, and events.



At 9am, I gathered with about hundred other people for the community yoga class in front of the main stage.  It was taught by four--pretty well-known--yoga teachers, including many assistants, who wondered among the students offering adjustments.  It was still pretty foggy, but you could see the sun making it's way through.  However, when Nicki Doane guided us into sun salutations, the sun pierced through the fog so powerfully, we all began hootin' and hollerin'! It really was the most perfect moment, and I could feel the pulse of energy throughout the crowd.  At one point, I honestly got teary-eyed because of the beautiful, inspiring words that the teachers spoke and expressed from the bottom of their hearts.  It was also the anniversary of 911, so that was acknowledged by all.

I wish I got more pictures of the teachers, but I will hold all their wisdom, kindness, and support in my heart.


Then right after savasana, which ended at 11am, the festival began.  An African drumming band opened with such loud, harmonious beats, everyone stood up from their yoga mats and began dancing.  Although I came to the class and festival by myself, I did not feel alone.  Two women that were next to me expressed their appreciation for being able to practice yoga with me and everyone.  I also ran into another fellow yoga teacher who was a few people down from me.  So the connection and community was flowing everywhere and through everyone.  I felt loved and loved everyone.

I decided to wander back to the vendors and food ;-)  I really WISH I could remember the place, but I went to an Indian Food vendor and got a samosa and chai tea. It was Mmmmmmm Good! I enjoyed browsing through the clothing vendors as well. 



My last wander was with the Acroyogis.  I've been able to experience and observe their most fun and healing work.  It's partner yoga, but can include acrobatics and thai massage.  I HIGHLY recommend it!

As I made my way back home through GG park, I got a little emotional again.  I kept thinking I'm never going to experience anything like that again.  I won't ever see those people again.  But what I realized is that I was present in each and every one of those moments I had there.   I allowed myself to be open to connection with strangers, and be with that community and purpose.  It was beautiful and I am inspired.

No comments: