Sunday, March 9, 2008

Yin and Yang Yoga with Paul and Suzee Grilley 2/24-2/25

Yin/Yang Yoga with Paul and Suzee Grilley
I took an amazing workshop in Larkspur, CA this past weekend with Paul and Suzee Grilley. It was on Yin/Yang yoga which takes a taoist approach to yoga. The Yin yoga (which was the total focus) emphasizes the stretching with the ligaments and tendons rather than the muscle and the meridians of the body in chinese medicine. Of course you do get muscles stretched, it's the chi which lies in the connective tissues of the body that is being stimulated. I studied anatomy in my teacher training and then I got a review with Paul. He's so knowledgable in anatomy and yoga. He stressed how our bones are different, not just from each other, but within your own body. How one thigh bone is different from the other one. That being the reason why many people may never reach lotus pose because of these skeletal structures in the body. Yoga studentsteachers may feel like they have to put their body's through this stress to get into a pose that they see in Yoga Journal magazine or in class. I've definitely backed away from this, but when I'm in certain yoga classes, I do feel like I'm over doing it so I back off. This is also what Paul stressed in the workshop. Yin Yoga allows you to back off. The same with Yang which is more vigorous movement like flow. With Yin the poses are held longer and you go more inward.



It was a great workshop and would recommend it to anyone. www.paulgrilley.com.

No comments: