Friday, June 11, 2010

What is Organic? Look at the ingredients!

I find it hard to learn that some products that say "organic" or "natural", aren't exactly.  I read an article by the OCA (Organic Consumers Association, click here's the link) that Whole Foods will be removing all personal care products that are non-certified and mislabeled "organic".  It'll take up to a year, but it's nice to hear that such a large health-food store chain is taking action.

Although I've learned about this general mislabeling, for a long time, I would try or use anything that said "organic" or "all natural".  But when you actually look at the ingredients, sometimes it's a few lines or one long, huge paragraph, usually of stuff that you can't even pronounce! I try and make the effort of buying personal care products that have ingredients I can pronounce and have a basic understanding of what they are.  I do this with food, especially if I'm going to try a packaged food.

I shop at Whole Foods quite frequently and when I learned that they were selling products that actually weren't saying what they were, it put me off.  I have made my personal choice that I will use organic/all natural products from now on to reduce excess toxins in my body.  I know I can't help the air, but I can do something, and I appreciate companies having these options for people who are trying to shift their lifestyle.

So the next time you buy something (and it can be anywhere or anything), see how many ingredients on the back you know and can pronounce.  You may be surprised you might only know a few, one or none.

No comments: