Friday, June 3, 2011

Back from vacation

I love vacation! You feel so refreshed and rebooted when you come back. In fact, I realized most people don't take ENOUGH of them!

I went to three different locations: LA (UCLA Butoh Symposium); Newport Beach Coast, CA; and Las Vegas, NV. I probably would've preferred Vegas before Newport Beach, but you can only plan things so much.

The Butoh Symposium was such a haven of artists, history, discussion, and practitioners of this mysterious movement practice that I love and loathe. It actually made me question my relationship with Butoh more. What is it about this practice that keeps me coming back? (I'll write more about this on my other blog. )

Newport Beach Coast was the epitome of relaxation and fun. I stayed with my Dad at his timeshare, along with my stepmom and their two friends. It was all about R&R: sitting by the pool reading, swimming or soaking up the sun; walking along the beach or hiking along the coast; watching the different birds fly around outside on the patio while overlooking the pacific ocean; shopping; watching the Boston Bruins on satellite cable TV; and then just chatting with family and friends about whatever while sipping on a beer or glass of wine. It was wonderful and so needed!

Las Vegas was crazy. It was my second time and it felt the same exact way as the first. Overstimulation and lots of people! It's still fun because everyone around seems like they're having fun too (unless you gambled all your money away). Thank God we were there for the Punk Rock Bowling Festival. A great music festival with all sorts of punk genres--pop or hard. The majority of the shows were outdoors, but I'm glad the night I went it was a cooler, overcast day. The remainder of the time I was there, the temp was in the 90s and sunny! However, I could never live there. I realized my body doesn't do well in that climate. My skin is still trying to heal from the dryness from the air there.

Vacation is important. It's necessary for the mind, body and soul. We all need a break from work-life, whatever and however that may look. We deserve it and need it.

When was the last time you went on a vacation?

No comments: