Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dedication or Admiration?

I definitely relate to this. I remember in the past when I would skip yoga class if I knew my teacher was going to be away. However, I would just practice on my own, even though it wasn't the same. I used to visualize my teacher's voice for inspiration. It worked sometimes. Then if I showed up to yoga class and there was a sub, I would feel a little disappointed but do my best to enjoy and be in the full experience. I like this article that yoga journal sent me. I hope you do too!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(from yogajournal.com daily insight)
I visited a teacher-friend's yoga class recently to find it packed solid. Later that day, she told me her crew of regular students were unshakable in their enthusiasm for yoga class. With one exception: When she announced a sub would be teaching for her, her loyal students were nowhere to be found.

Could it be that her robust army of dedicated students are attached to their teacher, rather than dedicated to their practice? It's only human to have preferences, but when does your attachment to the teacher hinder your progress?

This week, assess your dedication to your practice. If you removed your favorite teachers from the equation, would you find the inner fire to continue practicing? Read how one yogini's traumatic experience of losing her teacher helped her find her practice. Finally, get all of the tools you need to become self-reliant and establish a strong home routine.

Om Shanti,
Andrea Kowalski

IN THIS ISSUE
Your Favorite Teachers

Hundreds of readers wrote in to share comments about their favorite teachers.

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/2666?comments=1
Yoga Diary: On Her Own

A yogini loses a teacher and gains a practice.

http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/2651
Home Stretch

Roll out your yoga mat at home and you'll find the freedom to experiment, to evolve, and to become your own best teacher.

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/2591

No comments: