Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Developing Performance Work

I have a performance in October and I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the material I have. It's like I have too much! This can be both good and bad, but the last time I was rehearsing it was hard for me go with something. I kept stopping and starting over. Using past material or tweeking it. This is a solo piece which, for me, can be difficult. I'm going to ask others for feedback once I get something going. It's funny because I've done 10-15 minute solo before and now I'm having trouble with this one. Maybe it's because it's going to be in a more formal setting (theater, lights, sounds,etc.) or maybe it wasn't my day that last time I rehearsed or maybe it's because it's going to be a whopping 20 minutes! I know we have our days, even when working with groups of people which I'm used to doing most of the time. The one solution that keeps coming to me is writing. I need to do more writing. Yes, I'm busy with school and work but I know I can set aside time to really do some writing about my work. I also videotaped 2 of my rehearsals which will give me plenty of ideas! I guess I needed to just "write" this out first to get clear. I feel I need to go with my intuition with things but it's funny how it can also stop you.

No comments: