Thursday, April 22, 2010

Twisting it all out

For the past month, yoga poses such as twists have been a God-send to me in all realms, physically, mentally/emotionally and spiritually.  Eating that birthday cake for my husband last week, probably wasn't a good idea, but was delicious and for an important occasion.  It was vegan, but yes, there was flour in it.  I had friends visiting from Boston over the weekend and probably shouldn't have drank those sugary cocktails, ate that chinese food, and pizza.  My body definitely felt the repercussions from my food and drink choices and I was conscious for all of it! Definitely not always fun. 


I'm feeling much better now, but Monday and Tuesday were the worst.  I not only felt low energy, but I was breaking out on my face and upper arms, my nose was stuffed up and I had the worst gas ever!  I knew something was up; however eating pizza on Sunday night and pasta on Monday were involved in making these symptoms possible. I was taking my probiotics as usual and drinking lots of lemon water.  Finally, my coworker gave me a supplement of Oil of Oregano (great anti-fungal!) and I immediately started feeling a difference.

But, let's back up a bit.  On Saturday morning (the day after the sugary cocktails and 2 days after cake), I went to yoga class and my teacher's theme was twisting poses.  I had never sweat so much and it was needed!  However, I continued my diet of carbs and wheat products, and when Monday came, I felt like I was coming down with a cold.  I felt like my body was fighting something.  But what? I began taking Wellness Formula automatically, which helped a bit.  Then for dinner that evening had a pasta dish my husband made.  Tuesday arrived, and the cold-like symptoms came back, so I took more Wellness Formula.  Then it hit me.  What have I been eating lately?  DUH!  At this point, I felt fog-brained, moody, tired, gassy and I had a pounding headache.  I took the Oil of Oregano my coworker had given me and that seemed to perk me up a bit.  When I got home that evening, I practiced yoga and did lots of twisting poses, standing, sitting and lying down.  Afterward, my head was buzzing so I drank a ton of water.  I made a healthy meal of quinoa and tempeh, sauteed with broccoli, spinach, garlic and onion.  The next morning (Wednesday) I felt sooooooo much better and today it continues.  I'm also taking my Olive Leaf supplements which are another type of anti-fungal to clear the intestinal tract and support immunity.

My conclusion to all of this: twisting poses are amazing!  Yes, being conscious of your daily diet too, but twisting the body, especially around the abdominal area, stimulates and massages all of our vital organs: liver, stomach, intestines, gallbladder, etc. They also release tension in the spine, shoulders and hips. 

I always incorporated a twist or two in my practice and in the classes I teach, but I'm going to make it point to dedicate my practice to twists for a couple weeks out of each month.  It really does help detox and revitalize the whole body, mind and spirit. 

No comments: