Monday, April 12, 2010

Doing a lot and loving it all

In the past, I was one to "over-do" or "do-too-much" at once, which resulted in resenting and/or hating some of my passions.  Later on, I realized that it wasn't that I didn't like any of it anymore, it was more about what was alive for me at that moment and time period.  I always felt like I had to do, do, do because if I just quit, I was a failure in some way (what a judgment to put on myself!).  When I finally acknowledged what I wanted and needed for myself, more ease and flow began to show up in my life.  The more I did this, the more joy I had with whatever I was doing. 

Last June, I had to cut back from teaching yoga because I was in massage school and it demanded a lot of my time and energy.  It was hard for me, but I made the choice of putting yoga teaching on the back burner for a little while until my massage classes slowed down.  When they did,  I went back to teaching and I love it!

In addition, I'm creating some new performance work once a week and beginning to get my massage business launched.  I decided I want to start seeing one to two massage clients a week.  Within these two projects in my life, I still find time for myself and with my husband.  Some people in my life ask me, "how do you do it?"  In the big picture, it's really simple.  I found being present with each thing I do has helped tremendously.  In the past, I would dread and sometimes feel drained about my schedule for the week.  Now, even though I look at my week schedule, I take one day at a time, one moment at a time.  The feelings of being overwhelmed; stretched-out-too-thin; overworked, etc., fade away more easily.  When they do come up, I stop and acknowledge what's happening; what am I not in alignment with? 

It's a process. A journey.  These things take time, and eventually begin to make sense.  We all have different things going on our lives, but we shouldn't put things we love to do aside because we feel there's no time or it's too hard.  If we truly love it and it makes us happy, then we can find time for it.  It's a practice of mindfulness and being in the present.  For me, it was a lot about letting go, and it was challenging!  But I also had support networks of like-minded people, which is an important part when initiating change in your life.  It's always happening and is ongoing.   Just keep remembering what it is about your passion that makes you happy and bask in those feelings. 

1 comment:

Stella said...

The balance is so important. I remember last year I took on a lot of paintings to do for commissions and it became so much more of a chore than something I enjoyed. I had to take a step back and reassess.