Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dreams can shake you up

 I dreamed last night that there was an earthquake.  Joe and I were at a football game (somewhere in SF) and the magnitude was so strong.  I could feel it, that my eyes were shaking.  When it stopped, we started to leave.  Workers were tending to dangling wires in the building/stadium, and even out on the street.  For some reason, the buses were still running, so Joe and I got on one to go home.  Then there was an aftershock, which caused the bus to bend in half and pop out again.  After that stopped, the bus continued through the city. All the buildings were slanted at an angle, going in the same direction.  The waves on the beach were huge, but not so huge that they crashed onto the city.  As we rode the bus, I was worried about our cats in the apt. People were sitting outside of their apt buildings, as merchants were outside their businesses.  I never got home before I woke up.  I was very unsettled this morning about that dream.  Then I looked up "earthquakes" on www.dreammoods.com and used their dream dictionary. This is what I got:

"Earthquake
To dream of an earthquake, suggests that you are experiencing a major "shake-up" that is threatening your stability and foundation. The dream highlights your insecurity, fears and sense of helplessness. Is there something in your life that you feel at "fault" for?

If you find cover from the quake, you will overcome these challenges. If you become trapped or injured during the quake, you will suffer some sort of loss in your life. According to the bible, earthquakes symbolize God's anger and power."

It definitely resonates a bit with me.  I'm grateful that no one was hurt or killed in the dream.  For the next couple of weeks, things are going to get busy for me--performance preparation/rehearsals, class make-ups, other obligations.  Perhaps it's that premeditated anxiety that I'm going to feel.  But, instead of thinking of the worst, I'm going to take this as a reminder.  A reminder to breath and take care of myself when I need to.  To be in the moment, especially when things get hard.  I know I will overcome these challenges.  

2 comments:

zen muffin said...

i enjoy reading your blog. i like the image of "all the buildings were slanted at an angle, going in the same direction." my yoga teacher (kira ryder) has taught me to take advantage of google image search. she calls it accessing the collective subconscious. you can often find images that look like the ones you dreamt of. i found this one of slanted buildings, for example (scroll down a bit): http://morganvaron.blogspot.com/2008/11/photo-old-fashioned-way.html

obviously i don't know what the buildings in your dream looked like but i thought this was a beautiful photo! :)

i also use online dream dictionaries! i'm trying to remember my dreams more. they are fascinating.

Unknown said...

That image is great, along with all of them! Thanks for comments and sharing.