Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Insight from yoga injury: Why yoga shouldn't hurt

 I found this article rich with information on how to protect yourself against injury in yoga class and in your own practice.  The author speaks from her own experience, and offers many other insights from very experienced yoga teachers and health professionals.

I have had a project going on in my left, inner knee for quite sometime, and it restricts me from doing certain poses such as lotus, and poses that require lots of flexion of the knee.  I feel this happened during a class in my teacher training, or in an intermediate yoga class, where I just pushed my body too hard, so I could stay up to speed with everyone else.  I remember going to the doctor for help, and then finally went to acupuncture, which did help a lot.  But I had to modify poses in order to protect my knee. This was really hard at first because, at the time, I was in teacher training and I didn't want anything holding me back.  Then I began to realize it's okay! You can still be a yoga teacher if you can't do a certain pose to its fullest.  Every body is different at every minute of the day,  and that should be honored in any form of exercise.  I'm not saying you shouldn't challenge yourself, but if you're doing something unconsciously just to get through it, that's where injury will happen.  I know one day my body is open to all poses in my practice or in a class.  Other days, it may need something different.

So I invite you to read this article, especially if you're new to yoga, but also a seasoned student or teacher.  There's lots of good advice and information.  It's nothing that will scare you off from doing yoga because there's so much to learn, experience, and yoga should be for everyone. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
From Yoga Journal


Yoga Shouldn't Hurt
Buyer beware: An "all levels" vinyasa class might include umpteen Chaturangas, long holds of deep backbends, or pretzel-like poses that can strain your joints—and your ego—if you're not fully ready. As yoga grows in popularity, it becomes more and more important that you explore your own limitations and feel empowered to take care of yourself on the yoga mat, despite what others around you are doing. This week, we offer stories to help you arm yourself against injury.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you are just starting yoga, you will get little help on the net. Almost everywhere there are experienced yoga teachers whose talk appears Greek to you. However, I could find a good resource for Yoga beginners at one destination. At http://www.facebook.com/yogaforbeginners you get to know Yoga in the language you want to know. You can also meet many yoga starters like you and discuss Yoga with them.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info, Barbara. I've been practicing yoga for 10 years and teaching for 4 years. Most of these posts are for sharing, especially to my yoga students who are beginners. I'll forward these resources on to them.

Best,
-Liz