Monday, February 7, 2011

When things are good....

when things are good, we try and find something that's bad. why do we do this? you could drive yourself crazy asking yourself that question. i know things are good because i have all my basic needs met. then there are those old things that may be appear that trigger those old emotions. it's like the body's memory kicks when someone or something triggers those old files that are stored deep within us. lately, i just observe. i observe when things are good and when they are not so good. but are there things that are bad? aren't they just an experience that falls within our path for a reason? can we be grateful in the moment or bitter to the end? it really is hard. it really is choice. working on yourself is no picnic in the park. this is something that i've been doing for the past ten years, since i started studying yoga, massage, energywork, and the movement arts. i've gotten deeper into it and within myself. but what i find hard, along with other people, is to find the good in everything that happens. initially, we automatically go into the "bad" mode about whatever just happened, instead of taking a moment to breathe, and look at the situation from a distance.

so i try to acknowledge the good in everything and everyone, no matter how much i want to go into judgment or blame. because essentially those judgments we're putting on others are really onto yourself. blaming others is really blaming yourself. this can be hard to hear and i feel my stomach cringe just a little writing it. i know if i love and accept myself i can love and accept others. again. it's hard. it's a process. it's a journey.

i say start small. take a moment when you wake up every morning and name one thing you're grateful for. something that really is "good" in your life. then breathe deeply into it.

2 comments:

Stella said...

This made me laugh. I don't know why we do it. Lately, I feel like my words have been creating more drama then I would like them to. Maybe it's because I'm talking about other people? I didn't consider it gossip--but maybe it was? I felt weird in saying it, and usually I try to be careful about what I say.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. When things like that happen, I think about the way the universe works too. I think to myself am I creating this situation? I feel we, essentially, have good intentions, but sometimes our own stuff filters out, even when we don't mean it. Aaahhh, other people's stuff.....So you're probably not creating the drama. It could be other people's judgments about themselves that are coming out, which are making you feel you're creating it. It's a big ol' paradox!