Monday, March 14, 2011

Community for Health and Well-being

As I began writing my current newsletter, I realized why community is so important in our lives. It really keeps us going through our daily lives. It inspires us to be better people. It helps our physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health. Hundreds of years ago, people shared everything with one another. They supported one another during tough times, and no matter what, always had unconditional love. But then something shifted and that sense of community started to dwindle, especially now with computers, cell phones, iphones, blackberries, etc. Not that those things don't help us stay connected to our loved ones, but everywhere I look, people are texting, facebooking, and twittering. What happened to coming together in the flesh?! Or making the time to talk to someone on the phone who is long distance? I hear Skype helps with this one!

Of course, I'm not writing about social networking and technology here. I needed to presence that for myself right now before I got carried away. The whole concept of community is overrated. When we feel down or stressed out, do we really stop and think that we might need support? Do we feel we have to do it all ourselves? I guess that's what I'm getting at because, in the past, I felt this way. I felt like I had to do it all myself with no help.

After attending my massage school graduation this past weekend, community was everywhere, and I felt it. I felt the love, support, acknowledgments, and sense of identity. Community nourishes our sense of identity and sense of purpose so much. It inspires us to be our passions and be the best that we can be. It provides acceptance and appreciation, which our hearts yearn for. For instance, I got back to attending yoga classes this month. Although, yoga DVDs and home practice help feed my practice and teaching; however, just being in a room with a teacher, students and other like-minded individuals got me pumped and jazzed EVEN MORE! All I can say about it is "I want more, More, MORE!"

So what communities (including family) do you have in your life? Is there a passion you have in your life that you can share with like-minded individuals? People who share that passion and/or support you all the way?

Let me also ask, do you feel no sense of community (other than family) in your life? What is the result of this? Would your life be a little bit better if you had more community?

There was a time when I was depressed quite frequently. My story was that I had to do everything on my own. Once I began to release this story and belief with the help of a wonderful community of individuals, my depression decreased dramatically, and I had more energy to do what I was passionate about. I also realized how disconnected I felt from family. Once I connected with them more, my community around me built up more.

I would love to hear thoughts and comments from the questions I asked in this post. Feel free to email me if you want to comment privately, lizsfilippone@gmail.com.

In love and light,
-Liz

No comments: