Friday, March 19, 2010

Milk it for all it's worth

I found this article very interesting as it relates to digestion. Proper digestion has been a theme in my life for the past 3-4 years. I've learned so much about it and with my own, learned how to improve it with diet and other holistic healing modalities (massage, energy work, etc.).  This article mentions how western medicine sees dairy products, especially milk, creating mucus and even congestion in the body.  However, Ayurveda says the opposite.  If properly combined, whole milk can be very beneficial to your health.  As I've learned about food combining in my holistic health training, I've done a little of this myself and do find that I have less bloating and gas if I eat this way.  Of course, we're all at different avenues in our path, but it's just something to consider if you've been struggling with health issues.  
Enjoy and live vibrantly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(From Yoga Journal Daily Insight)

Many complementary medicine practitioners dismiss yogurt as just another outpost of dairy's evil empire. Yet Ayurvedic practitioners hold it in high esteem. What's a yogi to do?
Ayurveda considers milk products the building blocks of tissue. In Ayurveda, the body is made up of seven layers of tissue: water, blood, muscle, fat, bone, bone marrow, and reproductive tissue. Milk is thought to contribute to the health of each layer. On the contrary, the Western world believes that milk causes mucus and allergies. But the problem isn't dairy, say Ayurvedic practitioners, it's the manufacturing process.
Ayurveda recommends plain yogurt only because fruit interferes with the live bacteria, ferments the yogurt, and makes it more acidic. In Ayurveda, you never mix fruit and dairy—the combination is considered harmful. Further, make sure to buy whole-milk yogurt with live cultures from a reputable producer. Whole milk is essential because the fat is where the tissue-building properties are found. However, it is also high in saturated fat, so moderation is key.

IN THIS ISSUE

An Ancient Cure for Modern Life

Dairy Dilemma

1 comment:

Stella said...

This is really interesting. In Switzerland the milk and yogurt here only have shelf lives of about two days. I think because they just don't pasturize it as much as the USA and they have a higher standard.

I eat natural yogurt, but I've been eating it with berries. Looks like that's not hte best you can do! I'll have to try eating it without anything now! Thank you for this tip!