Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Which Branch are you?

I loved reading this article because it reminded me of my yoga teacher training 3 years ago.  It was at the beginning of my training when I learned about the "Branches of Yoga."  As Hatha yoga is included in these branches, the ones mentioned in the article (link below) are raja, karma, jnana, bhakti, and tantra.  There are a total of six. Long ago, yoga was referred to as a tree with living extensions or branches.  The ones I mentioned have their own distinctions which represent a way to approach life.  For instance, we all know the idea behind karma.  But it's not all necessarily negative, which I think many mistakenly see it.  A lot of it has to do with being present with our actions and how we act in service to others.  In other words, am I being selfless in my work?  I could analyze it to death, but I'm not going there.  Of course, one is not in just one branch because it's a constant overlapping, just like life in general.  However, I find myself in this moment, primarily in bhakti, which is the path of devotion, "seeing the divine in all of creation...a positive way to channel the emotions" (Carrico, Mara).

We're always moving in and out of our creation moment to moment. So which branch are you right now?

http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/157

No comments: